Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My roommate was on probation. They knew what area of my

Customer Question
house belonged to me but...
My roommate was on probation. They knew what area of my house belonged to me but searched my area anyways. Is this legal
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.
Customer: I was renting a room at my friends home. He was on probation. They knew my area of the house but searched it anyway
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: Yes. He told them as they were searching that those areas were not his and they said oh you live alonr
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Criminal Lawyer responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/10/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

Yes, it is legal. When you allow someone on probation to live in your home, he is subject to random warrantless searches by the department of parole. Parole is not restricted to just the common areas of the home. Any place that the parolee could potentially have access to can be searched for contraband.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD