Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My name is **** and a former roommate of mine has been

Customer Question
Hi. My name is...

Hi. My name is **** and a former roommate of mine has been coming into the townhouse I live in, tells my room mates lies about me has sex with them so they let her wake me up at night. I have not been able to catch her on video and the room mates won't talk. Any legal action I can take?

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

That's about it, I don't have any hard evedince. Can I go to the cops and file a complaint with any hope of help?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/9/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. However, I am unclear on what this person is doing that might be illegal. If she is breaking into the house (coming in without someone letting her in and without permission from anyone who lives in the house), then you could report that to the police and they could either issue her a trespassing ticket or maybe a breaking and entering charge. But, it sounds like at least one of your roommates is letting her in. If that is the case, I don't see a criminal act in what you described.

If you are wondering about the false statements, then that is a civil matter. If they are false statements of fact that damage your reputation, then you should speak to a personal injury attorney who handles defamation cases and see if they think there is enough there to file suit. If nothing else, they could write her a "cease and desist" letter to try to keep her away and from telling lies about you.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you.

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 9th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer