Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have my first marijuana possession charge. I know I part…

Customer Question
I have my first marijuana...
I have my first marijuana possession charge. I know I part of it means I'll have to take a court appointed class which is at 4:00 every Tuesday. I have a full time job that ends at 4:00 and it would take about 15 minutes to get to the class. Is there any way the court would understand my situation and let me come in 15 minutes late?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/8/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Lawyer

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I'll be happy to help you with your question. I would advise you to pursue this on two fronts. Namely, you could contact the court and let them know your situation and see if they would be amenable to letting you come in slightly late. It is somewhat of a longshot but there is no harm to Trying, but securely if you can show that coming in exactly on time would jeopardize your employment. You could simultaneously speak with your employer about leaving work 15 minutes early for court ordered obligation. If you don't want to tell your employer about the specific situation, you could always say something along the lines of "I have an obligation that will last X number of weeks and I am unable to reschedule it. However, I am available to come in 15 minutes early on each of those days. Would that work for you?" Honestly, every situation is different and the more willing you are to work with your employer or even with the courts the more amenable they may be too working out those 15 minutes.

Honestly, every situation is different and the more willing you are to work with your employer or even with the courts the more amenable they may be too working out those 15 minutes. Please let me know if I answered your question satisfactorily. If I have I would appreciate you submitting a rating. The only way we get credit for our responses is if you are satisfied AND ALSO submit a rating. It was a pleasure helping you. If you have a follow up question, please don't hesitate to reach out again.

Hi. Please let me know if you need any additional assistance; I'd be happy to help you. If you are satisfied, I would appreciate if you would take just a moment and submit a rating of three or more stars. We don't get credit for the time we spend assisting you unless you're satisfied AND ALSO submit a positive rating. I can of course continue to help you regarding this topic and clarify anything you have questions about.

Hi. Just a friendly reminder to please submit a rating if you are satisfied with my assistance. If you need any *additional* assistance I'd be happy to help you. I know there is a ton of information out there on the internet… and I hope you consider Just Answers a great resource for educational and helpful information. We don't get credit for the time we spend assisting you unless you're satisfied AND ALSO submit a positive rating. I can of course continue to help you regarding this topic and clarify anything you have questions about as well, so don’t feel as though we have to stop communicating if you require clarification even after you submit a positive rating.