How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27726
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested in 1982 in Broward County Florida a forged

Customer Question

I was arrested in 1982 in Broward County Florida for uttering a forged instrument. I was 21. I fled. Had fugitive warrant ever since. Contacted judge down there, legal assistant told me only recourse come to Florida turn myself in. Attorney here said write judge ask her for leniency. Will she call authorities here? Also, will this show up on background check?
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: At a Volunteer lawyer network. She said write ask judge to vacate.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: No other trouble. Picked up in 1989 in Colorado for this, gels 72 hours. Florida said no extradite
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Criminal Lawyer responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Yes, unfortunately, there is only one way to deal with a warrant and that's to go back to Florida, face the judge who issued it, and be present to deal with your case. The judge will probably not call and inform anyone of your whereabouts, but this warrant does show on your criminal history, and you're at risk daily until it's taken care of.

If the warrant is a misdemeanor warrant, and it is discovered, say, in a routine traffic stop, all that will be likely to happen is that the police officer will tell you that you'd better get back to Florida and get it taken care of. If, however, it is a felony warrant, you can be incarcerated and held for extradition no matter where in the country you're picked up. You've been through this once already.

Your best bet is not to write to the judge asking for leniency before you come back, because that letter would make an admission of your guilt. If the judge isn't lenient, you'll have hurt yourself. Your best bet is to contact a Florida lawyer and let him pave the way for as safe a return as are possible under all the circumstances he finds. It may well be that after all of this time, the state can no longer come up with its witnesses and cannot prosecute this case any more. Then the matter would have to be dismissed and the lawyer may be able to take care of that without your even having to come down.