Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was arrested in 1982 in Broward County Florida a forged…

Customer Question
I was arrested in...

I was arrested in 1982 in Broward County Florida for uttering a forged instrument. I was 21. I fled. Had fugitive warrant ever since. Contacted judge down there, legal assistant told me only recourse come to Florida turn myself in. Attorney here said write judge ask her for leniency. Will she call authorities here? Also, will this show up on background check?

Lawyer's Assistant: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

At a Volunteer lawyer network. She said write ask judge to vacate.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?

No other trouble. Picked up in 1989 in Colorado for this, gels 72 hours. Florida said no extradite

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/8/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

Yes, unfortunately, there is only one way to deal with a warrant and that's to go back to Florida, face the judge who issued it, and be present to deal with your case. The judge will probably not call and inform anyone of your whereabouts, but this warrant does show on your criminal history, and you're at risk daily until it's taken care of.

If the warrant is a misdemeanor warrant, and it is discovered, say, in a routine traffic stop, all that will be likely to happen is that the police officer will tell you that you'd better get back to Florida and get it taken care of. If, however, it is a felony warrant, you can be incarcerated and held for extradition no matter where in the country you're picked up. You've been through this once already.

Your best bet is not to write to the judge asking for leniency before you come back, because that letter would make an admission of your guilt. If the judge isn't lenient, you'll have hurt yourself. Your best bet is to contact a Florida lawyer and let him pave the way for as safe a return as are possible under all the circumstances he finds. It may well be that after all of this time, the state can no longer come up with its witnesses and cannot prosecute this case any more. Then the matter would have to be dismissed and the lawyer may be able to take care of that without your even having to come down.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD