How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Delta-Lawyer Your Own Question
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 3546
Experience:  Over A Decade Of Criminal Law Experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Delta-Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Trying to figure out to drop or reduce felony charge against

Customer Question

hi, trying to figure out to drop or reduce felony charge against my son, age 19. he was under influence of alcohol at the time of incident - both of them. One of Feb 2016 and Nov 2015. so the DA had included the charges back in Nov which Jason was released two days after arrest. Now this time, he's been in jail since Feb 4. I had placed a protective order in case he gets out, and later modified to no force, no violence. Yet my son realizes his mistakes and does not want to go to prison, he wants to make things right and get a job.
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: no we cannot afford a lawyer on our own income, my son has the public defender work on his case.
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: Jason was charged with 3 misdemeaner, and 2 felony which were related to assault and battery, and attempted gross bodily harm.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. As a parent, I certainly emphasize with your issue here today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of criminal law experience. It is pleasure to assist you today.

I recommend three courses of action that can be implemented at the same time (one will require his bonding out when allowed by the court):

(1) You need to have an attorney (even if a public defender) represent your son and this attorney needs to be familiar with the prosecutor that will be prosecuting the case. This is very important. When the attorney has a relationship with the prosecution, they can often cut deals to either have the charges deferred or reduced, pending the outcome of meeting stipulations by your son;

(2) Get your son into a rehab for alcohol as soon as you can. The court will view this favorably and will be more inclined to reduce or eliminate the felony charges altogether when he successfully completes a rehab;

(3) (which is an extension of #1 above) - work with the prosecutor to have the charges amended or dropped...make your son willing to perform community services, rehab or whatever the prosecutor suggests to get past this issue. The prosecutor controls what goes before the court - that is the critical cog in the wheel here.

Let me know if you have any other questions or comments. Please rate my answer positively as well (three or more stars).

Best wishes going forward!

Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.

Just checking to see if you have any other questions or comments. I want you to be as comfortable as possible as you move forward!