Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Can I legally use 2 ssn that have been cross referenced by…

Customer Question
Can I legally use...

Can I legally use 2 ssn that have been cross referenced by the SSA for credit. I obtained my original birth SSN legally through the legal name change process (my mother changed my name and was issued a social security number for me as a baby after she left my birth father. I was 30 when I found out after she died.) The SSA advised me to use the original social security number and my work credits from my previous SSN would be transferred. She said they don't report to consumer agencies such as the credit bureau. So I have 2 credit files. I haven't used either in 7 years, since I found out. Can I use both legally with all good intentions?

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

Not yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?

Not really. It was all done through the courts and SSA so it's legal. I'm ready to purchase a home and need to know how to approach this with 2 credit files.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/6/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, you can use only 1 SSN, the one the SSA told you to use. If you use the second SSN to obtain credit (even if the SSA has them linked) then it is actually considered fraud and can lead to criminal charges. You are not supposed to use both and you are the party responsible for notifying the credit bureaus that the files should be merged and use only the SSN that the SSA told you to use.