Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Can I legally use 2 ssn that have been cross referenced by

Customer Question

Can I legally use 2 ssn that have been cross referenced by the SSA for credit. I obtained my original birth SSN legally through the legal name change process (my mother changed my name and was issued a social security number for me as a baby after she left my birth father. I was 30 when I found out after she died.) The SSA advised me to use the original social security number and my work credits from my previous SSN would be transferred. She said they don't report to consumer agencies such as the credit bureau. So I have 2 credit files. I haven't used either in 7 years, since I found out. Can I use both legally with all good intentions?
JA: OK. The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: Not really. It was all done through the courts and SSA so it's legal. I'm ready to purchase a home and need to know how to approach this with 2 credit files.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
No, you can use only 1 SSN, the one the SSA told you to use. If you use the second SSN to obtain credit (even if the SSA has them linked) then it is actually considered fraud and can lead to criminal charges. You are not supposed to use both and you are the party responsible for notifying the credit bureaus that the files should be merged and use only the SSN that the SSA told you to use.