How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27049
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lived in Anchorage going on 4 years and I've been charged

Customer Question

Hi, I lived in Anchorage going on 4 years and I've been charged with assault alcohol related and the victim might not file charges it seems but my municipality is, I believe,will I need to hire a lawyer to keep my job due to jail time or can I just appear.
Will there be a public defender if I don't hire a private lawyer?
I have no prior convictions.
But I have had a DV related destruction of property charge dismissed
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Public defenders are only available to indigent defendants. Generally, you must be at or below poverty level to qualify for one. If you have a good job, assets, and credit available to you, you will be told to hire private counsel. Every jurisdiction is a bit different as to eligibility rules. You can call the public defender office and see if you would qualify. If you do, however, you won't be assigned one until your arraignment.

Related Criminal Law Questions