How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 26803
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm a convicted felon in Louisiana and have a question about

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a convicted felon in Louisiana and have a question about having my rights reinstated. I was convicted of DWI 3rd back in January 2008 and served 6 and a half months in jail. After that sentence i did 5 years probation wich ended in 2013. This is not a serious felony so in wondering what steps do I have to take to have my rights reinstated?
JA: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I haven't, i dont even know where to start on this issue
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: No i have not been in anymore trouble since this.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer where you can place your fully refundable $5 deposit (plus $13 after the Criminal Lawyer responds). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


In Louisiana, your right to vote and your right to hold office are restored automatically after the completion of your sentence. Your right to sit on a jury requires a pardon from your govenor.

As for your state gun rights, Louisiana will restore firearms rights 10 years after the completion of a sentence, assuming the offfender hasn't had another felony conviction in that time.

Unfortunately, however, the Federal government also took away your Federal rights with your felony conviction. And without your Federal gun right your state gun rights are meaningless, as you likely will not clear a NICs check. Louisiana, as I have indicated will restore your gun rights after ten years and some of your rights after your sentence, but they won't restore ALL of your civil rights, and that is what the Federal government will require before they lift their bar against your Federal gun rights.

That means to get all of your rights back and your Federal 2nd amendment rights restored, you will need a pardon from the governor of Louisiana. Without a pardon, even though Louisiana has given you back your gun rights, you could still be arrested by the Federal government for being a felon in possession of a firearm. You can see a Louisiana case that explains all this here.

Attached is the Louisiana Pardon application. No lawyer is needed for a pardon, but there are lawyers who specialize in pardons, expungements and the restoration of rights, and you may want to consult with one.