Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I had to go to court to prove ownership of guns that I

turned in on my own...
I had to go to court to prove ownership of guns that I turned in on my own after Det. asked me to because my sister told the Det. my guns were once at my father's home who is a felon. I did turn them in even though the guns were at my home in another county with the promise to get them back. I had to go to court, the judge told me at court to keep from going back to court I could take my bill of sales to D.A. and that the D.A. could release them I did and the D.A. told me to show the papers to the Sheriff's office so they could release them but when I tried they told me the judge never said I could do that even after I told them I had been tothe D.A.s and asked them to call them and see that I was telling the truth,I also never got any letters about my court dates they were sent to my father's,when I told the Sheriff's office that, they told me that I wasn't suppose to get a letter, only the people who had the guns on their property, or who the guns were retrieved from, or the one who turned in guns would get a letter telling them when to go to court. Well then I should have got it because I turned them in,and stayed there with the Det. and helped him put down serial numbers and info so they could be put in as evidence and he knew I had my bill of sales, and wrote on my paperwork that the guns could be released back to be after the hearing.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/4/2016
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

What is the question that you have with regard to these facts.

Well, Since I turned them in as asked even though I didn't have too,and the Det. told me this,and I was in another county, and did so because they didn't know at the time my dad was a felon and when they came to investigate the break in they didn't find that out, and they were there as I was packing my guns in my car to take them to my home and then a week later called me and asked would I take them in because they could have gotten into trouble. They told me even though they were mine I would have to go to court to show proof, I did and was missing some papers due to a fire,the judge told me to get all my proof and Bill of sales together and take to D.A. so that I wouldn't have to go back to court and. could settle it out of court, I showed my bill of sales to D.A. a month later he said fine go show them to Sheriff and I did and Sheriff's office would not release them. I have court Monday and I'm scared to death I'll loose my guns.
What do you think and what do I do,The Sheriff's office said the judge didn't say that but he did,and so did the D.a.

Thank you for the reply.

Sometimes, even when the DA agrees to release property, the police will still hang onto it. This is especially true if the property is guns. Here, they probably believe that if they return them to you, a felon would have access to them, and they are not going to want to let that happen. If you have all the necessary proof that the guns are yours, the judge should order the police to turn the guns over to you. You have your second amendment rights, the DA has no need of your firearms, and there's no reason that you've given me for the police to refuse to turn them over.

This should come out your way. Worst case scenario, you'd have to appeal the judge's decision, for which you would need a lawyer, or simply purchase new firearms. You are not in any sort of trouble.

Her answer made me less me feel alot better and Im not as worried as before.. I got the best answer possible and she helped understand why and what was happening, and to realize I still would be able to have what I wanted because I had that right,even if I had to start collecting my items all over again. I should be glad I am at least allowed that.I think lawyers are good at counseling also.

Thank you for the kind words. Glad I could help. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Zoey_ JD