Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I've met a 20 year old woman online from England and…

Customer Question
I've met a 20 year...
I've met a 20 year old woman online from England and I'm thinking of flying her to the US to spend a couple of weeks.I really enjoy her company- is there any illegality if it turns out she's actually underage, as long as we don't have sexual relations? I realize it would be illegal to have sex with anyone under 18, but is there anything illegal about flying her here if she's really under 18. (She has a passport that says she's 20). I'm assuming that 20 is perfectly legal- is that true? Thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/4/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

The age of consent is 18. So as long as she is over 18 you can have sex with her here, in England or wherever you like. If you fly her in and she is under 18, so long as you don't have sexual contact with her, you will have done nothing unlawful.

Because international romance scams are around in abundance, don't wire her money for the plane tickets. If you're going to offer to pay for her fare in, tell her you've got her full name and passport number and that you'll purchase her tickets from here with your credit card. She can get her eTicket at the airport with her passport, which is valid proof of her identity.