Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My brother has Lung cancer. On 2-22-16 because we did not…

Customer Question
My brother has Lung cancer...
My brother has Lung cancer. On 2-22-16 because we did not have a paper stating it was terminal they gave him 3 years prison. He has never has any violent criminal back ground. As of 3-1-16 they still have not started his chemo or radiation. The doctor sent me a letter stating that if he doesn't get them he will die in 6-18 months. What can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/4/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Go and see the lawyer that represented him. If the lawyer was court appointed then he probably won't be able to help and you will have to retain a lawyer but they will file a motion for new trial or a motion for new sentencing and use that letter from the doctor (or call the doctor live to testify) and try to get the judge to change the sentence.

The reason a court appointed lawyer likely won't be able to help is they are usually released from the case as soon as the initial sentencing is over. You want to check with them to be sure though.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread.