Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have been married since June 15, 2001, my husband and I…

Customer Question
Good Morning, I have...

Good Morning, I have been married since June 15, 2001, my husband and I separated in October 2003. We have not file for a legal separation, nor have we applied for a divorce. I have recently learn that her has remarried someone else as of August 2014. Is this legal

Lawyer's Assistant: The Criminal Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?

Well, we have no children together, however I do have my own land, home and retirement. How could this affect me.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/4/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Roger, Lawyer

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

No, the second marriage would not be legal if the first marriage (between the two of you) is still intact. Instead, it would be a void marriage based on bigamy.

The action shouldn't have much of an affect on you.....other than to cause confusion regarding your marital status.

It may be good grounds to file for divorce and would likely be leverage when you deal with support and property division issues.

The main thing to keep in mind is that you haven't done anything wrong.....so whatever comes of this shouldn't be adverse to you.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. Also, please take time to positively rate our conversation so I may receive credit for assisting. Thanks again!