Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What will happen to someone if they gave permission to

another individual and let them...
What will happen to someone if they gave permission to another individual and let them claim children that did not belong to them on their taxes. even though it cant be proved that permission was given. i want to report someone but i know she will deny giving permission. I know its illegal and i shouldnt worry about what will happen to someone else to just report it, but could you please tell me if both parties will get in trouble even if the person who filed could not prove they were given permission.
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/4/2016
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

The IRS investigates complaints of tax frauds. It's impossible to know how long it would take for them to get to this. But a complaint could trigger an audit and the taxpayer's right to a hearing on this. If it were found he owed taxes because of what he did, he'd be expected to pay the IRS back along with interest and penalties. If it was found that there was deliberate fraud, the IRS could also turn the file over to the Department of Justice for federal prosecution.

So yes, potentially both parties could get in trouble.

The fraud was deliberate because they are not his children and he neither lives with them or provides for them. If this is true could he win or get off in any way? The individual who the kids belong to should have filed a return but did not, now she is going to file and add the kids to hers.

It's not up to you to determine whether the fraud was deliberate. THe IRS will make its own determination, and due process requires that when it does so, the suspects would get an opportunity to defend against the charges. Whether he would win or lose is something I would need a crystal ball to predict. It will depend upon all of the facts and circumstances of the case.

Federal prosecutors, however, have an extraordinary success rate. They don't prosecute cases that they don't think they can win. They win about 98% of their cases.

Zoey_ JD