How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27704
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is incarcerated in C. I. crime he did not commit. He

Customer Question

My son is incarcerated in Taylor C. I. for a crime he did not commit. He is being tortured, and they are not allowing any contact of any kind with his family. He was sent to another facility yesterday and we do not know why. We were given 3 different answers. One was that he tried to hurt himself. He has been threatened by 2 staff there and I have reported this to 3 different captains none of which has done anything about it. He is not being feed. I don't know what they have done to him and I am sick with worry. He was sentenced a a Y.O. and that was not taken into consideration when he was sentenced. This all stems from retaliation on the part of Brevard County Sheriff's office when I worked at the Brevard Jail as a Forensic Social Worker and turned in 3 guards that almost killed one of my 17 year old inmates. I reported the incident to the luetinent and we have been falsely arrested and put through hell ever since!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


Does your son hava a lawyer? Have you reached out to him or her?

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


In general when a family member wants to seek information about an incarcerated loved one and complain about his treatment at the hands of the Department of Corrections, he or she is only going to get a runaround. It takes a lawyer to be able to find out what's going on and address it effectively. For one thing, a lawyer can visit an inmate at times when family members may have no access. For another they can deal with people within the Department of Corrections who will not speak to family members.

A lawyer can put the prison's lawyers on notice of civil rights violations and get them to look into what's happening. That may be enough to solve the problem. Otherwise he can bring a civil rights suit against the guards who are harrassing him unfairly.

If your son has a lawyer for the case on which he is presently serving his sentence, you need to reach out to that lawyer and tell him to address the safety issues. You may also want to involve the American Civil Liberties Union, because these sorts of problems are very much in their ballpark. The ACLU has been involved in protecting inmate rights on a national level. They have branches all over the country, and even if they cannot take on your son's matter themselves because their plate is too full, they will know of some excellent civil rights attorneys in your area who may be available to take up your son's cause.