Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I just found out I have a felony warrant and I want to put…

Customer Question
I just found out...

I just found out I have a felony warrant and I want to put myself on calendar to settle this but was told I could be arrested when I go to be on calendar....is that true

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I'm in California and it is for welfare fraud...not reporting wages made while in aid. I voluntarily did an interview with a detective back in November and just found out today a warrant was issued on January 6

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/3/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 2 years ago
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

but was told I could be arrested when I go to be on calendar....is that true

.

Yes, if you have a warrant, then when you show up to court, the sheriff or bailiffs are under order to arrest you if they become aware of the warrant. In order to get on the docket, you will have to go to the court and ask the clerks to put you on the docket for the judge's next court date.

.

However, if you hired a criminal defense attorney to represent you, he may be able to talk the judge into recalling the warrant and converting it to a summons which would allow you to appear without fear of being arrested.

.

But if you didn't want to hire an attorney, you can find out when the judge's next arraignment date is and arrange to show up at the local jail a full day in advance and surrender. They will then take you into custody for the day and you should be transported to court the next morning to see the judge who is unlikely to keep you in jail over an alleged white collar crime like this.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law