Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am applying job--I was told to apply unless I have

Customer Question
I am applying for a...
I am applying for a job--I was told to apply unless I have repeated felony DUI charges or reckless driving violations. I was charged with misdemeanor DUI a few months ago (my first and only driving/criminal charge). Is that still considered a reckless driving violation?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/3/2016
Criminal Lawyer: LawTalk, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
LawTalk, Lawyer

Good evening Hailey,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have been a licensed attorney for more than 30 years.

A criminal charge of Reckless Driving is very different from any DUI conviction under CA law. They are not one in the same. And so, if your only concern is whether you have been convicted of Felony DUI or Reckless driving, then based on your statement that you have only been charged with DUI---which is a misdemeanor unless actually charged as a felony---you have not been charged/convicted of either a felony DUI or reckless driving.

A DUI charge/conviction is not a conviction for reckless driving. And a DUI charge/conviction is not a felony unless charged as such---which is pretty infrequent. It generally involves a collision with serious bodily harm to a victim, or perhaps the 3rd or 4th (or later) conviction.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug