Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I have a breach of trust charge of 1700.00 in the state of…

Customer Question
I have a breach...

I have a breach of trust charge of 1700.00 in the state of sc.. will I go to jail

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have a breach of trust charge for missing banks deposit with my former employer it's been over a year I do not have the money to restore the deposit will i go to jail

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
3/1/2016
Criminal Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. It's possible that you will go to jail, but if this is a first offense, it's unlikely. Here's the law:

SECTION 16-13-230. Breach of trust with fraudulent intent.

(A) A person committing a breach of trust with a fraudulent intention or a person who hires or counsels another person to commit a breach of trust with a fraudulent intention is guilty of larceny.

(B) A person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a:

(1) misdemeanor triable in magistrates court or municipal court, notwithstanding the provisions of Sections 22-3-540, 22-3-545, 22-3-550, and 14-25-65, if the amount is two thousand dollars or less. Upon conviction, the person must be fined not more than one thousand dollars, or imprisoned not more than thirty days;

As the amount is under $2,000, it's a misdemeanor, and the maximum penalty is 30 days in jail. The judge has a lot of discretion in this, and if there's a good reason to keep you out of jail (supporting family, etc...) or if this is a first offense, you'll almost certainly get probation, not actually jail time.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Hello?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it 3 or more stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!