Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

If a private investigator so happens to get access to your

Customer Question
(redacted) bank statements what can...
If a private investigator so happens to get access to your (redacted) bank statements what can they do with it?items redacted:
- the account number
- All debts and credits items with the exception of one school tuition paymentWhat can hired private investigator/special investigator do with the information on that statement? and what information should be redacted?Thanks in advance!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/29/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

I suggest the purpose of obtaining a statement is to show a spending pattern and/or show what is coming in as income and from where to compare to whatever the party has said in that regard.

I suggest and type of "sensitive" information should be redacted such as a social security number.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I recently had to provide "documentation" to some fraud investigator (former FBI agents) that work for the company proof of tuition payments to my kids private children school. They keep insisting on bank statements.. which make me wonder why??... Even with my account numbers, can they access anything without my consent?i'm nervous because everything I've presented so far they accused me of making it up.. i don't know if that's just what they do or if they really think I made it up. but I don't want them trying to check/verify stuff on my bank statement.

Hello

Thanks for the follow up. They do not need your permission. They only need to show a judge they have probable cause to get a warrant and or a subpoena for that information. Additionally, depending on the situation, the FBI can also obtain your information via what is called the Patriot Act.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i apologies for the misunderstanding... this is an internal investigation... the auditor are employees of a private company..

Employers or Employees? You mentioned the FBI. I apologize I am not going to be able to assist you further. I am opting out and another professional will contact you.

IN the meantime, you do not need to rate and your deposit will remain on balance.

Good luck

Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor had to leave.
First off, they do not have rights to the full account number and the reason for the bank statements are to prove payment was made out of the account. You can give them the statement with the last 4-5 numbers of your account blocked out. All you need to show on the statement is the payments leaving your bank to the other party.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your responds.Can they try to verify with the vendor that you made payment or see fax or email to someone/ or company to confirm payment of some kind?
Thank you for your reply.
They want proof the payment came from your account, but a vendor validating payment is another means of validation. There is not just one way of validating this information, there are multiple ways and everyone has their own techniques.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can I make sure the can't or don't do this?
Thank you for your reply.
You do not have to give them the information and they have no legal right to get the information without your approval and for the bank to release statements without your authorization would be a violation of their privacy policy with you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm sorry but regarding your earlier responds "There is not just one way of validating this information, there are multiple ways and everyone has their own techniques".. I don't know if i follow you... when you say other techniques, do you mean other then bank statements or other ways to verify with the bank statement ...what do you mean are other techniques?
Thank you for your reply.
I mean there are other means to obtain the information, bank statements, contacting the person who received the money or getting written payment receipts from you or copies of cancelled checks or money orders. How they verify the payment is up to their discretion and they have multiple ways to do so.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
to be frank... the investigator or arrogant a$$ clowns.. so I'm be cooperatively defiant in a way.. i don't want it to be easy... but the payment was made to my kids school for tuition payment and i have not given them any permission to access there records... so do they have those same way to verify?
Thank you for your reply.
You have to give them permission to access school records or they need a subpoena, same with bank records. While you want to be defiant because they are jerks, sometimes the fastest way to be done with them is give them the information to get rid of them faster.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I agree.. i think its ego.. but if you are suggesting that they really can't do anything with my bank statements then I think this will be ok..
Thank you for your reply.
No they cannot do anything with your redacted bank accounts.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer