Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am asking if charges can be made against an ex-wife who…

Customer Question
I am asking if...

I am asking if charges can be made against an ex-wife who hacked her ex-husband gmail.she got in changed his password

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

She also changed the contact number to her phone and not his

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/29/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Yes, if they made unauthorized access to your email account and changed the password, this is a state as well as a federal criminal offense. It is solely at the discretion of either the district attorney in your city/state or the US Attorney's office as to whether they will agree to actually file charges. However, even if they do not file charges, you have grounds for a civil suit against her as well for invasion of privacy and you can seek damages, including punitive damages, for her unauthorized access to your email account.