Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I have a Maryland charge misdemeanor of hand gun on person

Customer Question
I have a Maryland charge...
I have a Maryland charge misdemeanor of hand gun on person witch hold up to 3 yrs in prison in state of md .. I live in Pa now does this disqualify me to own a handgun or fire arm in the state of pa
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/29/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

Were your firearm rights restored in Maryland?

Under Federal law, if you were convicted of a crime for which the maximum possible penalty was more than a year in jail, you lose your Federal gun rights. Since Federal law trumps state, you'd have no gun rights anywhere in the country.

That could be corrected, if the state that took away your rights in the first place granted them to you again. The Federal government says that if all of your civil rights are restored, including your gun rights, which usually requires an expungement or a pardon on the state level, they will lift their bar against your second amendment rights and you'd be eligible to possess a weapon again.

Maryland will only restore lost firearms rights if you get your offense pardoned. That should be sufficient to get your Federal rights back. Pennsylvania could make you jump through still more hoops of their own, but with a pardon, you are likely to be able to prevail.

You can read about how to get a Maryland pardon on the attached. Pardons are rare, but they are free to apply for and they do not require a lawyer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Idk it was 9 yrs ago when it happen .. I don't know if my right was ever taking in Maryland I know I couldnt own one while on probation but that's over ..how do i find out

Thanks for the reply.

If your maximum possible penalty could have been three years of prison, you lost your state gun rights, even if you never served prison time and only got probation.

Maryland does not automatically restore gun rights. You'd need to apply for a pardon. If you didn't get one, then you don't have your gun rights back.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD