Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am a victim of assault by use of force. There is a case,

Customer Question
state vs the person who...
I am a victim of assault by use of force. There is a case, state vs the person who attacked me. It happened while me selling him drugs. If I testify against him in court and agree that this happened while i was selling him drugs. can the court charge me for breaking the law?
The attorney working with me said only he can charge me with felony but he is not interested in it and only want to put the defendant in jail.
I just want to know if I can be charged for saying what happened while testifying against the person who attacked me? can anyone else charge me after the court session?
what can i do to protect myself?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/28/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law

Hello. I have been an attorney for 26 years. I will help you with your questions today. You can be charged with a crime, but they would need other evidence along with just your statements to prove any charges against you. For example, they would need a witness seeing you sell the drugs. Other evidence would be the drugs themselves.

However, you could ask for "immunity" in exchange for your testimony against the person who assaulted you. Immunity means they would agree to not prosecute you. You could get this in writing. What county in Wisconsin are you in?

Speak to your attorney about getting immunity for your testimony. Ask for it in writing. Please let me know if you need more information or have further questions. If you are satisfied with my help, please rate my service. Thank you.