Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I'm being accused of fraud? What do I do ******** **********

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Ok me and mother in law share a computer I applied for an American express. She has an American express. Some how she thought my account was her account so she said I got a card under her and using her info.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Did you open a card for yourself as a secondary card holder under your mother-in-law's account without her permission or authority? Or is she simply mistaken? If it's just her mistake, what's your legal question, because you've done nothing wrong for which you could be sued or prosecuted.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I didn't she called fraud department on me saying I used her info. I didnt. I open cards in my name only wrote her down as a reference and now she going on line linking my account to hers so it looks like I am doing this. I have my own cards, what do I do.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

What did American Express say when she reported you? Does she now have control over your account? Have they reported you to the police?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She reported to credit karma, not the police and American express says we are linked. I never linked us.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is in control now.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

This is something you should be able to sort out with American Express's fraud department. If you got an account under your own name and using your own financial data, they should have your application information, see that for themselves and either unlink your account or close your account and open up a new one separate from hers. You can dispute any negative report on your history with credit Karma once this is resolved.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this something I need a lawyer for? I'm really scared what will happen. I know I didn't link our cards. I just am trying to be ready for whatever she hits me with. I have concers, it's just a weird situation and I have never been in trouble or accused of fraud.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Assuming that everything you've told me is accurate, you've done nothing wrong and your cards shouldn't be linked. If she linked them, then she made a false report about you and she has linked your personal account without any right to do so. There's no reason you can't call American Express without a lawyer.