Colleen Grady
Colleen Grady, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney and Counselor at Law
81266493

I submitted a petition in the family court if Queens, NY. To

Customer Question

Hi, I'm Rodolfo, I submitted a petition in the family court if Queens, NY. To get a order protection again my ex wife. And we are in the process , we have the first aperance on court. But when she got the notice , she made a false accusation at the police dpto. And said that I call her and said that I will pass over her with my car, but is not true , them I got arrested. In the court I plead guilty for disorder conduct, and my layer said that if I plead guilty , not criminal charge wil be on me and my personal record will be intact.
Question number 1.- Is correct that my record is not afected for the decision of plea guilty?
With respect to the family court, can my plea guilty of disorder conduct, affect the decision in family court for me obtain the order protection again my ex wife? Tks
protection ? Tks.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Colleen Grady replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have been a NYS attorney for 26 years. I will help you with your questions.

The plea of guilty to Disorderly Conduct means you said you committed a violation of the law, not a crime. This means you will not have to ever say you were convicted of a crime in this case. So if you apply for a job, you can always say "no" if a question asks if you were ever convicted of a crime.

As for Family Court, you can still get an order of protection against your ex-wife if the court has reasonable cause to believe your ex has threatened your safety. The judge may take your Disorderly Conduct plea into consideration. You may have to explain this to the court.

Also, it is possible that your ex can get an order of protection against you because of your plea of guilty to disorderly conduct.

If you have more questions, please ask me. I am here. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate me.