Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My ex girlfriend took out a warrant against me larceny

Customer Question
My ex girlfriend took out...
My ex girlfriend took out a warrant against me for grand larceny saying that I took her cell phone. She has been (mentally) in a psychosis-like state for the last few months. I did not take anything of hers and in reality, she actually hid some of my things (glasses, jacket, shoes, belt) and wouldn't give them back to me. I am on federal probation and I feel that she has greatly endangered my freedom with her accusation. What can I do to help protect myself and beat this false charge?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/27/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

Have you reported this offense to your probation officer? To your lawyer?

I haven't had my initial meeting with a lawyer yet. My PO is aware that I had a warrant and that I turned myself in and bonded out. I have not reported the offense of her taking my belongings.

Sorry for the delay. I was away from the computer.

It is good that you told your probation about the warrant matter. That's exactly what you are supposed to do. Probation does not usually violate for just an arrest. They will watch your case to see what is going to happen with it before deciding whether to violate you or not. If the state chooses to indict this, in my experience, they would lodge the violation.

You need to tell your lawyer about your girlfriend's mental health issues. If you have any documentation of her psychosis --- you know she's on anti-psychotic medication, for example, or that she should be but doesn't always take -- it let him know this as well. Cases like this are typically he said/she said types of cases and it will come down to the credibility of the complainant (vs yours, if you choose to take the stand on your own behalf).

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD