Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

My son received a mail from united state postal criminal

Customer Question
investigation service center, regarding a...
My son received a mail from united state postal criminal investigation service center, regarding a package that contain controlled substance. He is not arrested yet but I fear he might be facing some jail time. Can you, pls advice me on this matter and if possible tell me how long he could be facing.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/26/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Barrister, Criminal Defense Law replied 1 year ago
Barrister, Criminal Defense Law

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply, but rest assured, I am working on your question.

.

What does the notice say?

.

Does it say something like a package has been seized as contraband by the Postmaster and if he wants to dispute the seizure he needs to respond?

.

What did he order?

.

.

thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The letter says is to advise him that an item placed into the U.S Postal Service is currently being withheld from deliver as there are reasonable grounds to to suspect it's content are nonmailable, and possible of Federal law, specifically, the controlled substance act.
I believe the package contain Marijuana.

Ok, at this point, son needs to talk to a local defense attorney as soon as possible so as to try and head this off and make sure that he is not contacted by the authorities without representation.

.

This is pretty serious as it becomes a federal offense since it crosses state lines. Trafficking a Schedule 1 drug can result in prison time of up to five years for the first offense under 50 grams, and continues to climb dramatically as the weight increases. It is important to remember that even if you did not mail the package and are only the recipient, knowledge and participation in the planning of the shipping makes you just as guilty as the person who mailed the package.

.

Once a package is seized, one then faces prosecution in both the state in which it was mailed, as well as the state in which it was delivered, based on the discretion of the prosecutor.

.

So he needs an attorney...now. Before he is charged so he has a plan in place if they actually charge him with a criminal offense.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Criminal Defense Law