Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am from california. My wife filed a restraining order

Customer Question
against me. After initial trial...
I am from california. My wife filed a restraining order against me. After initial trial the judge postponed argument to another day. Now my attorney said my wife is ready to accept for non CLETS restraining order for 1 year.
What does that mean? How is it different from a regular restraining order?
If i agree for this can she go back again in future to court and ask for restraining order even if i am not in contact with her?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/25/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A CLETS restraining order is one entered into the restraining order database that allows the police to arrest the person for any violations. A non-CLETS order is one where the victim has to go to court to file a motion for any violation and you would have to return to court to defend against the violation. It is a private stay away order is what it really is, one that does not give the police the right to arrest you for a violation.
If you have no more contact with her she cannot go back and get another order absent proving that you violated the current order and are still trying to make contact.
Criminal Lawyer: Benicia Baker-Livors,
 replied 2 years ago
Benicia Baker-Livors

Your payment was rejected for the phone call. I would be happy to call you once your payment is accepted.