Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was arrested $60.00 worth of items from Walmart. I am very…

Customer Question
I was arrested for shoplifting...
I was arrested for shoplifting $60.00 worth of items from Walmart . I am very upset and remorseful . This was a first incident . I have a professional license and am worried .Please advise.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/24/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

In New Jersey a shoplifting offense under $200 is a disorderly person's offense, meaning under NJ's law though it is a criminal offense it is considered something less than a crime. Still it goes to dishonesty and lack of character, so you really don't want this conviction on your record if you can avoid it.

Therefore, you should hire a lawyer as soon as possible. It's possible he or she can talk to the prosecutor and see if the state will agree to reduce this to a civil infraction. Alternatively, on a first offense you'd be eligible for and could likely get into New Jersey's pre-trial intervention program. This is where you agree to a period of supervision during which you have to pay some fines, do some community service, take an anti-shoplifting class and stay out of further trouble with the law. Complete everything successfully and the case will be dismissed so that you will have no criminal conviction.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD