How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118765
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a no bond bench warrant in NDfor failure to appear is

Customer Question

Hi I have a no bond bench warrant in NDfor failure to appear is there any way i can get it quashed I sent in a doctor's note I also live in a different state from where the charges are bein held
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
There is only way to clear a bench warrant is a personal appearance. So you would need to get an attorney in ND to show up in court and at least arrange a date for you to appear in the court and surrender to the court. You have to appear, or else you have to satisfy the reason for the warrant (such as if it was a payment of fine, by paying the fine).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK so the bonds man says he will have me bookednin an out in a hour but I think she is lying considering it is a no bond warrent for FTA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this true I also have no attorney at all should I wait until I get an attorney to turn my self in the 30 day for forfiet bond was sent out on the 11 of Feb an ends on March 11 or something clike that if but she said if I do not turn my self in they will not reinstate my bond
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not get it I think there lying to me
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, he is lying if the warrant is a no bond warrant, because the judge would have to actually set a bond.
I would not turn yourself in without an attorney, but the longer this goes on the more likely that the court is not going to be very considerate on setting a lower bond.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the possibility of getting a or bond
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you think I will be held until trial.? My public defenders keep withdrawing on me because I won't take the deal because I'm not guilty what can or needs to be done to make this case get heard or dismissed or won at trial
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Most times you would not be held without bond, once you appear your attorney will be able to get the court to set a bond because you willfully showed up and turned yourself in and hopefully you have a good cause reason for not appearing.
If your not guilty, you have to appear and the attorney's job is to represent you and legally you are entitled to legal representation, so the court has to get you one and you can force them to go to trial and do their job.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I turn my self in what's the longest I will be held for until I. Can be released on the bond I was originally on the bonds agency said she has the power of attorney an can an will have me booked in an out in a hour
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Note this was a pre trial conference that I FAild to appear on will my bond go up or can it stay the same
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would it be wise of me to email the judge an ask if it can be recalled at all or if I self surrender would he be willing to reinstate the bond
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
If you turn yourself in, how long they hold you and what they eventually set the bond at is up to the judge and seriousness of the offense. It also depends on the good cause reason you failed to appear. There is no way to know what the judge will do, but if you turn yourself in with a good excuse for not being there then there is a good chance he will continue your previous bond. You cannot write the judge, that is impermissible ex parte communication and they will not communicate with you if you email them.