Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Aitu utu its regarding a email i got stating that i got a…

Customer Question
Aitu utu its regarding...

Aitu utu its regarding a email i got stating that i got a inheritance settlement from africa

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

His name is ***** ***** moghalu from bank of africa

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/22/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

I'm sorry but this is going to be a scam. In fact, the inheritance scam is one of the very oldest of the advance fee frauds going back generations before the age of the internet. You're contacted to say that a long-lost relative has died and left you a fortune. However, to claim it, you're required to pay some money allegedly to clear the inheritance.

First of all, you would never find out about an inheritance via an email. If you were really a beneficiary, you'd be notified by registered or certified mail. Additionally, banks have nothing whatsoever to do with the disbursing of inheritances. You'd be contacted by the executor of the estate, who is the only one with the authority to release the funds.

Finally, when you've really been left money, it is already yours, and you don't have to pay anything up front to receive it. The estates pays for all its own expenses, and it's only when all of the decedent's debts are paid and the estate has no further encumbrances that what is left gets distributed to the heirs.

Scammers send thousands of emails and letters out every day in the hope that they find someone who believes he may actually have a missing wealthy relative somewhere and who will take the bait. The scam may come complete with a phony lawyer/law firm and forged documents.

If you take the bait -- don't -- you'll be told to wire money for necessary legal fees or to open up a bank account in a foreign country to receive the inheritance. Either way you'll be wiring money directly to a scammer in Africa and you'll never get your money back or see a penny from them.

There is no inheritance. Any time someone you don't know or some company you have never dealt with contacts you out of the blue to tell you that you have come into a windfall beyond your imagination, but that first you have to pay money out and/or reveal unnecessary sensitive personal information in order to collect it, it's a scam.

The scammers are just hoping to dazzle you with thoughts of the money which will be coming your way so that they can get to your savings.

You can read the history of this scam on Snopes.com.

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/advancefee/inherit.asp

And here's a whole page of scam reports involving contacts from a Kingsley Moghalu with regard to an inheritance.

Cease all contact with the scammers. Send no money and give no personal information. Report the fraud online to the FBI at their Internet Crime Complaint Center at IC3.gov.