Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I was just released from jail on probation but I smoked

Customer Question
marijuana while in jail..do they...
I was just released from jail on probation but I smoked marijuana while in jail..do they still have to give me thirty days upon my release to get clean before they can drug test me?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/22/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

No, they do not have to. There is no law that states that your PO has to give you 30 days before drug testing you after you begin your parole time. If the PO does test you, hopefully, the PO will believe you that the marijuana was smoked in jail (and thus, would not be a technical violation of your parole). The tests may be accurate enough to show the time window within the drug was used.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Counselor at Law