Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Ray, need to write a letter to the judge asking extension i…

Customer Question
Hi Ray, need to write a...
Hi Ray,
need to write a letter to the judge asking for an extension i got lawsuit against me from one of my creditor
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
i need an answer asap
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/22/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Legalease, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer

Hello there -

-

Ray is not available at the moment so your question was referred to me for response. If this is a civil matter that you are seeking an extension date for, you generally have to contact the creditors lawyer and ask them if they would be willing to permit an extension on the court date and agree to another court date. If they agree to it, then you have to write a short letter to the clerk's office at the civil court with the case number ***** the top and tell them that you have agreed upon an extension date with the other side -- and give the court that date if you have agreed on it. If not, you will simply tell the court that they have agreed to extend and ask for a new date in the letter. You also have to send a copy to the attorney for the creditor that you spoke with and get some proof that they received it (a fax return cover sheet or certified mail). If the attorney for the creditor refuses to give you a different court date, then you will have no choice but to appear at the courthouse or have someone appear on your behalf on the court date and request that the date be extended to another date.

-

If this is a criminal matter that you are trying to extend the date out on, you have to actually appear on the court date and request and extension of time for the matter because if you do not appear they could put a warrant out for your arrest.

-

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above this chat box so I will be paid for my time? I am paid nothing unless you press a positive rating above in the ratings section. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time assisting you. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

-

MARY

Legalease
Legalease
Legalease, Lawyer