Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

How do I find out if my record has been expunged?

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
in Illinois.
2/22/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Roger, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Roger, Lawyer

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

The simplest way to figure this out is to call the court clerk's office where the charges were filed and ask if an order of expungement has been filed. If so, that will give you the answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I called they said nothing shows up when my name is ***** *****? Does this mean that it has been expunged
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If so how do I get paperwork stating it has been expunged

If the charge/conviction has been expunged, the court fill will contain a petition for expungement and an order granting the expungement......so you probably still need to take a look at the court file even if they've told you nothing shows up on the computer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I do that if they can't find anything under my name

You'd have to go to the court clerk's office and look through the court docket books to find your case file number.....and then take a look at the case file.

Even if your charge/conviction has been expunged, the court record would still exist --- they don't shred the files.

So, there will be a court file somewhere if you were charged and/or convicted.

Roger, Lawyer