How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Zoey_ JD Your Own Question
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27419
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Zoey_ JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm ***** ***** and it's regarding my boyfriend, Well we had

Customer Question

I'm ***** ***** and it's regarding my boyfriend
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well we had an argument on 2/20/2016 and it didn't lead to no harassing no hitting none of that. And he got booked in last night and charged him with domestic violence because my neighbors and kids saw him trying to hit me and swing at me which is not true. And I just want to get him but he has court on Monday 2/22/2016 and I guess it's a video court but I just want him out ASAP
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need you to answer me quickly please I need help what to do.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.


The case doesn't belong to you even though you are the alleged victim. It belongs to the prosecutor who has been assigned to the case. But as the alleged victim, you have some input, because for the state to win the case against your boyfriend, if the case was going to go to trial, you would be expected to testify against him.

So what you need to do as soon as you can do it, is to reach out to the prosecutor assigned to the case and tell him or her what you have said really happened: that all you had was an argument; that you were not harassed or assaulted, that you neighbors got it all wrong and that you do not wish your boyfriend to be prosecuted.

The prosecutor may side with you or may not, depending upon how strong a case he or she thinks he has. If he won't dismiss the case against your boyfriend, then your next step would be to get in touch with your boyfriend's lawyer and make it clear to him what you told the prosecutor and that you want the case dropped.

Generally, once the defense and the victim are on the same page about not wanting the case to go forward, something favorable to the defendant can be worked out.

But it all starts with you speaking your mind to the prosecutor.