Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I'm ***** ***** and it's regarding my boyfriend, Well we had…

Customer Question
I'm ***** ***** and...

I'm ***** ***** and it's regarding my boyfriend

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Well we had an argument on 2/20/2016 and it didn't lead to no harassing no hitting none of that. And he got booked in last night and charged him with domestic violence because my neighbors and kids saw him trying to hit me and swing at me which is not true. And I just want to get him but he has court on Monday 2/22/2016 and I guess it's a video court but I just want him out ASAP

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
I need you to answer me quickly please I need help what to do.
2/21/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

The case doesn't belong to you even though you are the alleged victim. It belongs to the prosecutor who has been assigned to the case. But as the alleged victim, you have some input, because for the state to win the case against your boyfriend, if the case was going to go to trial, you would be expected to testify against him.

So what you need to do as soon as you can do it, is to reach out to the prosecutor assigned to the case and tell him or her what you have said really happened: that all you had was an argument; that you were not harassed or assaulted, that you neighbors got it all wrong and that you do not wish your boyfriend to be prosecuted.

The prosecutor may side with you or may not, depending upon how strong a case he or she thinks he has. If he won't dismiss the case against your boyfriend, then your next step would be to get in touch with your boyfriend's lawyer and make it clear to him what you told the prosecutor and that you want the case dropped.

Generally, once the defense and the victim are on the same page about not wanting the case to go forward, something favorable to the defendant can be worked out.

But it all starts with you speaking your mind to the prosecutor.