Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

I was served a pfa and didn't threaten use of violence with

Customer Question
a gun or any verbal...
I was served a pfa and didn't threaten use of violence with a gun or any verbal threat. Why did the police lie and say my guns were to be seized
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/21/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.

Pennsylvania law prohibits anyone subject to a current domestic violence protective order from possessing a firearm if the protective order provides for the relinquishment of firearms.2 A court issuing a domestic violence protective order is authorized, but not required, to order the abuser to relinquish all of his or her firearms, as well as ammunition used or threatened to be used in an incident of abuse.

As per the PA law below, you can petition the court to have your firearms returned.

6108.1. Return of relinquished firearms, other weapons and ammunition and additional relief.

(a) General rule.--Any court order requiring the relinquishment of firearms, other weapons or ammunition shall provide for the return of the relinquished firearms, other weapons or ammunition to the defendant upon expiration of the order or dismissal of a petition for a protection from abuse order. The defendant may take custody of the firearms, other weapons and ammunition provided that the defendant is otherwise eligible to lawfully possess the relinquished items. The defendant shall not be required to pay any fees, costs or charges associated with the returns, whether those fees, costs or charges are imposed by the Pennsylvania State Police, any local law enforcement agency or any other entity, including a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer or licensed dealer in order to secure return of the relinquished firearms, other weapons or ammunition.

(b) Modification of court's order providing for return of relinquished firearm, other weapon or ammunition.--

(1) The defendant may petition the court to allow for the return of firearms, other weapons and ammunition to the defendant prior to the expiration of the court's order. The petition shall be served upon the plaintiff and the plaintiff shall be a party to the proceedings regarding that petition.

(2) Any other person may petition the court to allow for the return of that other person's firearms, other weapons and ammunition prior to the expiration of the court's order. The petition shall be served upon the plaintiff, and the plaintiff shall be given notice and an opportunity to be heard regarding that petition.

(c) Modification of court's order to provide for alternative means of relinquishing firearms, other weapons or ammunition.--The defendant may petition the court for modification of the order to provide for an alternative means of relinquishment in accordance with this chapter. The petition shall be served upon the plaintiff, and the plaintiff shall have an opportunity to be heard at the hearing as provided in subsection (d). Where the court orders a modification pursuant to this subsection providing for alternative means of relinquishment, the sheriff shall proceed as directed by the court.

(d) Hearing.--Within ten business days of the filing of any petition under this section, a hearing shall be held before the court.

Please let me know here if you have other questions or need clarification. Otherwise a positive rating ensures I get credit for my time and information in this regard.

Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law