Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

19 February 2016 05:33 Need help with legal issues in the…

Customer Question
19 February 2016 05:33 Need help...
19 February 2016 05:33
Need help with legal issues in the following case:A Canadian commits a crime in Missouri (breaking and entering) and it is believed that he has committed a murder in Texas as well as in Canada. He is arraigned and pleads guilty for trespassing in Missouri. He is questioned by a Canadian police ... view fullI do believe that this is not legal. First of all the detective is from Canada and does not have jurisdiction in the US. Also, the Canadian committed a crime in the US and does not fall under the US laws; is this correct? Besides, he does not speak English, so on this basis, I am sure he can have his statement suppressed; is this right?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Is there a reason this question is taking such a long time to be answered? Just curious. Thanks.
2/21/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

The reason your question took a while before it could get a response is that you posted it at 3:50 AM on a weekend, when lawyers, like everyone else, tend to be asleep.

Please clarify the followiing:

Is he questioned by the Canadian authorities while in US custody for the trespassing case? Or was he questioned in Canada? As a result of this questioning, was he rearrested and charged with murder? In the US or Canada?