How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 117401
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested back in 2009 and when i was out on PR bond i

Customer Question

i was arrested back in 2009 and when i was out on PR bond i was told by immigration to voluntarily sign a document which would have me deported, and if i didn't i would go back to jail. I had signed and been in Mexico since. now i'm trying to get a visa and go back to the states 7 years later i find that i have a warrant for my arrest. now im being told if i get the visa and try to go into the US that i will be arrested immediately and thrown back in jail. i was just wondering on how i canm get all this put behind me so i can go back to the states and work.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Even with a voluntary deportation, they can stop you from reentry for up to 10 years. However, if there was a plea agreement where you agreed to deportation and charges were dismissed then your attorney needs to go to court with the agreement you signed and ask the court to vacate the warrant, since you made a plea agreement to leave the country. Even once the warrant is vacated, immigration can still seek to deny you admission based on the prior case.