Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My daughter had a misdemeanor went to court every time she

Customer Question

my daughter had a misdemeanor went to court every time she was suppose to twice the prosecutor side they didn't know if the plaintiff was notified so Judge dismissed case now 45 days after a detective is calling our house saying she has to come back and turn herself in or they will issue a warrant for her,her Lawyer said don't go because they cant go from Ohio to Kentucky .I don't know who to believe.... Thank You
Category: Criminal Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also someone she worked with is a bailff and is going to a lot of customers and employees repeating things from court
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

The police may certainly issue an arrest warrant if she doesn't turn herself in, but your daughter's lawyer is right. Ohio is not going to come to Kentucky to get her on a misdemeanor warrant. This doesn't mean that some day she may not want to turn herself in to get rid of the case. But as there is no warrant now, there's no need to subject herself to an arrest just to please the police. Your daughter doesn't get anything out of that which she doesn't already have.

As for the bailiff's words, unfortunately there is nothing confidential about most criminal court proceedings. Court is open to the public and what happens is a matter of public record. So as long as the bailiff isn't spreading any lies about her, there's nothing to prevent him from repeating incidents from the court.