Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I just saw in a ile of mail that I have a bench warrant out…

Customer Question
I just saw in a...
I just saw in a ile of mail that I have a bench warrant out for a speeding ticket I didn't pay. Will I be arrested?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/13/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer

Hello.

If a bench warrant has been issued, then you could basically be arrested at any time. The police, unless they are not very busy, do not really have a tendency to hunt down people on traffic warrants, however. People usually get picked up on those kind of warrants through other contact with the police (ie you get pulled over and they run a warrant check). I would suggest calling the clerk's office of the court where the warrant was issued to see if you can pay the ticket to get the warrant withdrawn. If not, you will need to file a Motion to Quash Warrant essentially explaining to the court why you missed it and asking the judge to reset it for another date. The judge may then agree to set aside the warrant and give you a new court date so you don't have to worry about being arrested on the warrant.

Very helpful

Glad I could help you out. Please leave positive feedback so I get credit for my answers. Good luck, and I hope that you are able to work this out.

I have another question. I am supose to travel in & out of Canada tomorrow. Can I cross the boarder and come back into the states with out any probelms?

Unfortunately I had signed off for the evening by the time you responded and so I just now got your additional question. I see one of my colleagues answered for you, so I hope that helped you with your issue.