Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I need a sample letter to the judge to allow a bond

Customer Question
reduction to help facilitate drug...
I need a sample letter to the judge to allow a bond reduction to help facilitate drug rehabilitation.
Our son was arrested for child endangerment by his own admission. My sons wife called the police when he didn't come home, she called because he had their 5 yr old son with him. Early the next morning my son called his wife, told her where he was and had her come and get their son, she picked up the child and then called the police, told them the child was fine and told them where he (our son) was. The police went to our son and could not find cause to arrest him. After convincing our son to confide in them he admitted to drug use. This gave them cause to search his car. They found paraphernalia but no drugs. They arrested him. In the end the paraphernalia charges were dropped but they charged him with child endangerment - not by what they found but by his own admission. Since then he has violated probation and committed a class 3 Felony retail theft >300 crime. He has been in jail for an accumulation of 2 months now. He was picked up on probation violation, then bonded out. Court was 3 days later - he didn't show up. They arrested him again for not going to court and was in for 10 days, he got bonded out again. Upon getting his car he discovered all the Christmas gifts he had purchased for his children had been stolen. He then committed the theft. He's been in now for 8 weeks. Being in jail has had a positive effect - he deeply regrets what he's done, not taking his probation seriously, his drug use and the life choices he's made. He wants to move forward with changing his life. He has actively been taking classes in jail and keeping a positive attitude. He has agreed to chapter 20 probation and said he would agree to being released with restrictions such as house arrest, curfew, drug rehabilitation, etc... He wants to get started immediately. He deeply missed his children and they miss him too. Our hope was to get his bond reduced so he could come home and begin his rehabilitation. Today his reduction was denied. His next court date is in 11 days but our concern is that they will continue to prolong getting him assessed thus delaying his recovery and causing undo depression and all the other effects of extended periods of being in jail. He is not a hardened criminal and some of those he is with have crimes such as attempted murder, sexual assault etc... he doesn't belong there. He belongs in an environment that will help him get better. I apologize for the length of this letter but I'm trying to give needed detail. Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/13/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Legal-Kal
Legal-Kal, Criminal Defense Lawyer

Good evening:

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to provide general information regarding your issue. First, I am sorry to hear about the situation you and your son are facing as a result of these occurrences.

Now, I must add, experts here are not allowed to provide "sample" letters, forms or pleadings. However, what I can provide is the exact type of information that a Court would generally like to see or hear when it comes from letters from family members when it comes to sentencing of a Defendant. I would be more than happy to provide this general information, if you would like?