Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If I am on probation but have never been to prison, can I…

Customer Question
If I am on probation...
If I am on probation but have never been to prison, can I visit a inmate at Terra Haute Federal Prison?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/12/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 2 years ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

This depends solely on one's parole restrictions. Each parole is different, so it depends on the situation. Here are the things to watch out for:

1) Travel restriction. Many parolees have travel restriction for the duration of their paroles, which may restrict them to the county, or state, or a number of miles. If not sure, check with your PO.

2) Many parolees are not allowed to be in contact with former individuals who may be termed "bad influence" by individual names, hang affiliation, partners in crime, etc. Whether or not this inmate falls under this category depends on one's parole. Check with your PO.

3) If either of those restrictions apply, I am afraid that the visit may be disallowed. However if you'd like, I can explain the options for at the very least asking for/motioning to have said restrictions lifted. Let me know.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never rated positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!