Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

If i sent a nude photo to a minor in without knowing she was…

Customer Question
If i sent a nude...
If i sent a nude photo to a minor in virginia without knowing she was under the age of 18, what would happen? Would i go to jail for it? I snapchatted her under the impression she was military and she had told me she was over 18. Now shes threatening to use photos i sent her against me. Ive never received photos of her. Im 18 and the minor is 17. I never received any photos of her, she only posesses photos of me.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/12/2016
Criminal Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

This is a very common situation. I assume that she's demanding money or something like that?

Threatening to ruin my military career

And did you know this person (outside of the internet / chatting) in real life? Have you ever had a true face to face interaction with her?

I understand that she's threatening to ruin your career. But is she demanding something in return for her silence?

More photos and things like that. And no i havent. Thats why im xonfused as to if im in any real trouble, ive enever received anything from her at all.

Understood. But what does she want from you?

More nude photos of me.
Im afraid it will lead to something more serious. Like money.

I see. You're not in any trouble now, as there was no indication that she was underage (in fact, the contrary). Now if you knowingly send nude photos to a minor, that is an offense. So you should say that you absolutely will not. My guess is that this is a midpoint in the scam, in that once you do send photos to her "knowing" that she's underage, that's when you'll be blackmailed with money. Now I bet that this "girl" doesn't even exist. That is, it's a scam. It's probably some middle aged man that's using this, and the fear of it getting out.

Again, no crime has been committed. It requires knowingly sending lewd photos to a minor. Say that you're not going to, because at that point it would be a crime. Say that you're willing to take this to the police if she does, as it's a classic trap and blackmail situation. I doubt that you'll hear anything more about it.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Hello?

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

Theyre threatening to send them on facebook aswell to family members and frienda

And that's a possibility. They're going to demand money at some point, and keep on demanding until you can no longer pay. Now you can give them more ammo to use against you at a later point, or cut your losses now. They probably won't release it. They're scammers, and it's the threat that makes it worthwhile to them. As soon as they know that you're not going to pay, they typically move on to another mark. Time is money for scammers. It's not personal to them. But there is the possibility that they could release it. That threat will ALWAYS be there. And they'll keep demanding money. It's never going to be over until you stop giving them what they want, and they'll either make good on their threat or reveal it to be a bluff.

Again, most of the time it's an empty threat. But it's the fear that they're going after. The more you give them, the deeper you go.

(and the more you would have to lose)

It's important that you rate my answer if you don't have any more questions, as that's what closes it out.

If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~35 minutes) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Hello?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (~ 45 MINUTES) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 stars (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!

ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer