How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 116808
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in WA state and I was just arraigned on an I'd theft

Customer Question

I live in WA state and I was just arraigned on an I'd theft 2nd degree and I've already been to prison three times and have 7 points but am going to get a good attorney, what amount of time can a good attorney get my sentence down to??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Theft 2 is a class B felony, punishable by a maximum 10 years in prison and $20,000 fine, for starters. As a repeat offender under the harsh WA repeat offender laws, you could be looking at a life sentence. However, a good attorney can get the repeat offender sentence taken off the table at the bare minimum. Depending on the circumstances of your theft, beyond the removal of the repeat offender sentence, reasonably with a good attorney and a plea bargain 5-7 years is realistic based on your prior record.