How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dwayne B. Your Own Question
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 33774
Experience:  Numerous criminal trials ranging from traffic to murder, practicing Criminal Law for 20+ years.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Dwayne B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was involved in a t and run accident. I now have a

Customer Question

I was involved in a hit and run accident. I now have a complaint filed against me by the policy department and am being required to appear in court. California Vehicle Code:
20002 (a).
What exactly is involved with a complaint? I was not arrested. Do I need an attorney before I appear in court to answer this complaint?
When the accident occurred, both parties pulled over. The other party was very uncooperative and would not give me any information. He was yelling, and stood in back of my car so I could not leave. I was fearing bodily harm, so I left the scene. I then went home and within 1/2 hr. of the accident I filed a policy report. I panicked and told the policy the other party left scene. I was afraid the police would arrest me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

A complaint is a criminal charge for a misdemeanor. The code you cited is a Misdemeanor and could result in a punishment up to imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six months, or by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000), or by both that imprisonment and fine. However, if you haven't been in trouble before it is most likely to be a probation type case.

You definitely want to hire a lawyer to represent you and you want to do it as soon as possible since many lawyers won't take the case if you try to hire them a few days before the setting.

Your main problem now is handling the lie that you told to the police. If you hadn't done that then the lawyer might be able to get a dismissal under the facts you gave but it will be much harder to do so at this point.