Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

My son is being charged with felony theft. What will happen…

Customer Question
My son is being...

My son is being charged with felony theft. What will happen to him. He is 17

Lawyer's Assistant: My brothers got into lots of trouble with the law when they were young. The Criminal Lawyer will know how to get you the best outcome. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Please give me a bit more information, so we can help you best.

I noticed $7200 missing from my bank account, I reported it to my credit union right away, then realized it was my own 17 year old son who made the charges. The credit union just told me they are charging him with felony theft

Lawyer's Assistant: Is there anything else the Criminal Lawyer should be aware of?

He's never been in trouble before

Lawyer's Assistant: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/10/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Dwayne B., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

when should we get an attorney
What will happen next?

Immediately. Many times things can be headed off or at least not have as severe a repercussion if you start early.

Before I can tell you what will happen next I need to know what has happened so far.

The police department called and said they will be coming to get a statement from Zach, my son
Should he make a statement to the police?

Absolutely not without a lawyer present. Likely the lawyer is going to tell him not to give a statement at all but occasionally I would let my clients talk to the police if I was there and most attorneys now are the same.

You can fnd a local lawyer by going to www.lawyers.com and under Area of Practice enter Criminal Law.