Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Criminal Law

Help me
, No
, I am a minor charged with juvenile

Customer Question
help me JA: The law...
help me
JA: The law can be really complicated! The Lawyer will know what to do. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Please tell me everything you can about this issue so the Criminal Lawyer can help you best. Tell us what else you do know and the Criminal Lawyer will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I am a minor charged with juvenile possession of marijuana.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Criminal Lawyer should know?
Customer: Less than 0.5g
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Criminal Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two. I'll let you know when it is your turn.
Customer: I have court date
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/4/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 1 year ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

How old are you? In what US state were you charged? Do you have any previous criminal offenses? What is your question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
17. VA. No. What is going to happen? I have a court date coming soon. Will I be able to get a job? Get financial aid for college? Buy a car? Keep my DL?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello

Typically, since you are a juvenile and this is your first contact with the law, you would be offered a diversion disposition. This is a form of supervision during which you'd be expected to stay out of trouble, refrain from the use of illicit drugs, pay fines, do community service and take anti=drug classes or counseling. At the end of the successful completion of all of your requirements your charges would be dismissed. As you would not have a criminal conviction, this should not impede your ability to get a job, get financial aid or buy a car. You could expect to lose your license for 6 months.

If you were interested instead in fighting the charges you could come before a judge and do so. However, a conviction would then impede your ability to get a job and get financial aid, and you'd still lose your license.

If you're going to fight the case, you should have a lawyer.

Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD