How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 118788
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name Is ***** ***** and I am trying to find out if I go

Customer Question

My name Is ***** ***** and I am trying to find out if I go to the Alabama dmv if I will be arrested for a bench warrant in another state traffic related
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I got a speeding ticket paid it after the court date and they still have a warrant issued in Louisiana I need to get an identification card in Alabama being that I was recently transferred for work.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Criminal Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you paid the citation, but they still have a warrant, you are going to have to appear in the court where the warrant was issued with your proof of payment to get the warrant recalled. This is the only way to get the warrant removed, appear and show proof of payment to the court so the judge can recall the warrant. If you cannot appear personally, you would need to have a local attorney go in your place with the proof and they can get the warrant cancelled by the court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is if I go into Alabama Motor Vehicle Department to get an Identification will I be arrested on the spot for a warrant out of louisiana
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, if there is a bench warrant and not just an administrative warrant, yes, Alabama has no choice but to arrest you and contact LA to see if they want to extradite you (most times they will refuse to do so on a traffic case though). It still means they will hold you for a bit until they find out if LA will come and pick you up though and that is why resolving it in LA is what you need to do.