Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

What can you do if your name was printed in the news paper…

Customer Question
What can you do if...
What can you do if your name was printed in the news paper about a drug bust and you were not part the the drug bust. The reason you were failure to appear on a traffic offence. The way the article reads is you are part of the drug bust for haron, now everybody thinks you are part of a haron operation.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
2/2/2016
Criminal Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 2 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

These types of journalistic errors are most commonly dealt with by corrections in the paper or periodical itself. Write to the editorial board or editor (there will be contact information in the newspaper, or on the newspaper's website) and notify them of the error and request that they publish a correction.

If the paper refuses to withdraw or correct the error, you can consider filing a defamation (libel) claim against the publication for publishing this information. Alleging that an individual has committed a felony when you know or should have known that they did not, is "defamation per se" and you can recover damages (albeit these damages are usually not very large sums) and usually get a judgment requiring the paper to publish a retraction that matches or exceeds the publication of the original misstatement. These suits can usually be handled in small claims court, where you do not need an attorney to represent you.

CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney