Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

Unauthorized filming and sharing the filmed material

Customer Question
unauthorized filming and sharing the filmed material
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Can you provide any additional information? Did this filming occur in public? Was it audio, video, or both? Are you talking about someone who secretly filmed intimate behavior?

Filmed intimate behavior

Thank you.

Making a film of someone without their consent for the purposes of arousing or gratifying sexual desire is a crime. A first offense is a misdemeanor, punishable by up to a five hundred dollar fine, up to 3 years in jail, or both. If the person is convicted more than once, it becomes a felony. S.C. Code of Laws, Section 16-17-470.

Sharing the video with others for the purpose of embarrassing the person who was filmed could also be a civil cause of action called "intentional infliction of emotional distress." Just because we have the technology to do horrible things to people doesn't make it okay, and someone who shares nude photographs or videos of someone without consent could be liable for actual and punitive damages.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.