Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I occasionally date women I meet online. Sometimes I fly a

Customer Question

I occasionally date women I meet online. Sometimes I fly a woman in from out of state, or even internationally. I always try to make sure the girl is over 21, at least. Are there any legal consequences if a woman lies about her age- i.e., if I accidentally fly an underage woman here from England or New Jersey, is that illegal, as long as I don't actually have sex with her?I have them send me copies of their IDs and passports, but people sometimes lie.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 1 year ago.

Leave a trail (email/texts) that show you have made sure that the girl is over 21. If you've taken reasonable precautions, but she's lied about her age, you've gone a long way to demonstrate that it was never your intenteion to meet an underaged woman. So you're going to want assurances in person too to avoid "sextortion" demands later from unscrupulous scammers.

It is not illegal, however, to fly the woman in to meet you, so long as, if she turns out to be underaged, you don't have sex with her.