Criminal Law

Criminal Law Questions? Ask a Criminal Lawyer.

I am a TX resident but I lived in AZ from 1998-2000. I was…

Customer Question
Good evening. I am a...
Good evening. I am a TX resident but I lived in AZ from 1998-2000. I was charged with a DUI in 1999, in AZ. I was just notified that my TX driving priveleges were revoked from the 1999 ticket. They're requiring that I install an interlock device on my vehicle now for the 17 year old charge. I've had no drinking charges in those 17 years.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Criminal Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/31/2016
Criminal Lawyer: Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor replied 2 years ago
Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

Arizona is correct. There's no statute of limitations that applies to this matter. It's administrative and not criminal. If Arizona requires that you have an interlock on your car to reinstate your driving privileges, you cannot avoid their requirement by moving out of state. Since almost all states, including Arizona and Texas, belong to the Interstate Driver's Compact and hold drivers responsible throughout the country on a one-driver/one license theory, eventually, usually when you go to renew your license in the state where you now reside, you find that you cannot do so because of a hold from the state where you lost your driving privileges.

I agree that it doesn't seem fair since the conviction goes back 17 years, but the only way around this, and you would do best with a lawyer, would be to appeal the determination of the Arizona DOT. You will not be able to renew your license in Texas or get a new license anywhere else in the US until Arizona is satisfied.